By GENE MARKS
What’s affecting me, my clients and other small-business owners today.
- Existing home sales dropped 1.9 percent in September.
- A cloudy forecast for holiday spending is prompting more promotion from retailers.
- A San Francisco-based baby-sitting service that has expanded to a dozen cities has hired a former executive from Pandora to oversee its growth.
- More than half of small-business owners pay themselves a regular salary, according to a study from American Express OPEN. They take home an average annual salary of $68,000, down from $72,000 a year ago. In addition, nearly 15 percent of small-business owners need to work a second job while running their business to make ends meet.
- Yahoo, in its crusade to reinvent itself, is adding another item to its agenda: revamping its small-business, Web-hosting unit.
- A business-to-business online marketplace offers a new sales channel for small businesses.
- A business planning expert reiterates that the right kind of insurance helps businesses survive.
Around the Country
- San Francisco’s transit system enters another day of strikes.
- New Jersey business groups oppose Jersey City’s mandatory paid sick leave legislation, but the notion is lost on one small-business owner.
- An aspiring business owner who makes custom home décor and window treatments is participating in the Delaware Economic Development Office’s “Project Pop-up,” which identifies entrepreneurs and pairs them with property owners willing to provide three months of free rent in vacant commercial space.
Around the World
- A new report finds that the emerging economies’ share of Fortune Global 500 companies will probably jump to more than 45 percent by 2025, up from just 5 percent in 2000.
- This is a map of what every country in the world supposedly does best.
- Super smog hits a north China city.
- According to some experts the crucial moment when the health insurance exchanges need to be working is around mid-November or maybe Thanksgiving.
- Apple is expected to unveil new iPads Tuesday. Microsoft releases its new Surface tablet. Nokia will announce a new Windows-based device.
- Research firm Gartner suggests that worldwide PC, tablet and mobile phone shipments will grow 4.5 percent in 2013 as lower-priced devices drive growth.
- Howard Lo considers whether a small business should upgrade to Windows 8.1.
- These are 50 statistics about the tech scene that businesses should know.
December 10, 2013 //
by C. Daniel Baker Are you a small business owner with an amazing success story to tell? If so, ...
December 10, 2013 //
by Janel Martinez Everyone wants the formula for innovation. Whether you believe it’s learned or...