February is International Boost Self-Esteem Month. With the blahs that often take their toll during the winter months, this annual observation is a reminder to focus on ways to improve self-image and personal quality of life. TOPS Club, Inc. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly), the nonprofit weight-loss support organization, offers these ideas to improve self-esteem when establishing a weight-loss goal and sticking to a plan.
A Healthy Body
Where fitness and healthy eating are concerned, keep these ideas in mind to boost self-esteem:
• Establish realistic and measurable goals for your good health.
• Keep track of calories you consume daily and pay attention to your food choices.
• Exercise regularly, at least 30 minutes of exercise several times a week, to strengthen bones and muscles and to burn calories.
• Partner with a friend on your wellness journey. You can motivate each other!
A Healthy Mind
These tips can help boost morale and help keep you on the path to wellness:
• Join a weight-loss support group, like TOPS, which can help you to stay on track to accomplish your goals to wellness.
• Forgive yourself for mistakes but learn from them to avoid making the same misstep more than once.
• Keep track of your progress and consider posting your successes (and failures) online using social media, like Facebook, Twitter, or a personal blog. Praise and support from your friends is a great motivator!
• Compliment yourself regularly, either in a journal or by looking in the mirror and saying something you like about yourself.
• Treat yourself to something special, like a pedicure or a new piece of costume jewelry.
TOPS Club Inc. (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) is the original weight-loss support and wellness education organization. Founded more than 64 years ago, TOPS is the only nonprofit, noncommercial weight-loss organization of its kind. TOPS promotes successful weight management with a “Real People. Real Weight Loss.” philosophy that combines support from others at weekly chapter meetings, healthy eating, regular exercise, and wellness information. TOPS has about 170,000 members – male and female, age seven and older – in nearly 10,000 chapters throughout the United States and Canada.
Visitors are welcome to attend their first TOPS meeting free of charge. Membership is affordable at just $28 per year in the U.S. and $32 per year in Canada, plus nominal chapter fees. To find a local chapter, view www.tops.org or call (800) 932-8677.
May 14, 2013 //
Hezekiah Walker has experienced some major developments since the release of his last album near...
May 14, 2013 //
The Sisters in Faith Holy Bible: Encouraging and Empowering African- American Women with God’s...